The School Psychology Program at New Mexico State University is housed in and administered through the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology (CEP) and is nationally accredited through the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
The purpose of NMSU’s Specialist in Education (Ed.S.) School Psychology program is to train professionals to promote the highest quality educational and mental health services for children and families. Students are trained to work:
- with preschoolers, children, adolescents, and families, school personnel, offering consultation, instruction, assessment, and intervention,
- toward making education a positive and rewarding experience,
- serve students with diverse educational, psychological, emotional, and behavioral needs, including students with severe social-emotional disabilities.
- adheres to a scientist-practitioner model, with a stronger emphasis on practice,
- adheres to an integrated approach toward best serving a multicultural population,
- is competency based,
- designed to meet accreditation standards of the
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
- meets the New Mexico state licensure requirements.
Program graduates receive the Specialist in Education (Ed.S.) degree, which is advanced training beyond the master’s degree, but not as advanced as the doctorate. Students receive the Ed.S. in School Psychology from the Counseling & Educational Psychology Department.
The School Psychology Program Faculty
Click on a name or use the menu to the right to access a description of individual faculty members, or for contact opportunities. You may also use the “Contact” feature on the menu to e-mail the program training director for further information.
- Elsa Arroyos, Director of Training (for general questions & information about program)
- Dr. Heejung Chun, Admissions Coordinator (for questions regarding applying to the program)
School Psychology Training Committee Members
Dr. Elsa Arroyos, Program Director
Dr. Heejung Chun, Admissions Coordinator
Dr. Ivelisse Torres Fernandez, Practica & Internship Coordinator
- Dr. Torres to Study Mental Health of Hurricane Maria Victims in Puerto Rico
- We Are With You, Puerto Rico!
- School Psychology Graduate Student Organization Wins 1st Place in 2017 Dia Del Los Aggies Homecoming Parade Float
- CEP Teaching Excellence Awards 2017 (Dr. Torres & Dr. Chun- School Psychology)