“My counseling program at NMSU was very challenging but words can’t express how much I learned academically as well as socially. I am beyond thankful for the multicultural emphasis and awareness the program helped us develop, I truly view the world differently, and hopefully in a better manner, thanks to the professors efforts. I’m very thankful and grateful for attending the CEP program at NMSU. I wouldn’t be where I am today if not for the time and effort the professors put in to me as a student.” -AJ Amini, M.A.
DEADLINE for applications is February 1st
The MA Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program prepares graduates to pursue licensure as Clinical Mental Health Counselors. Obtaining licensure as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor requires post-graduate supervised practice and successful completion of licensing exams. Because the post-graduate requirements are substantial, they require a minimum of two years to complete, and are subject to change; students are directed to the New Mexico Counseling and Therapy Practice Board website for current licensure requirements (http://www.rld.state.nm.us).
The Masters Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program is housed in the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology in the College of Education at New Mexico State University. The program prepares professional counselors for careers in a variety of mental health settings including agencies, hospitals, and private practice. Last year (Fall 2016-Summer 2017), 11 students graduated from the MA Counseling program. Of these graduates, 81% graduated within their expected time period. All of the graduates actively seeking employment were employed within 180 days of graduation. Graduates from our program are consistently successful in completing licensure exams. The pass rate for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 graduates who took the NCE examination was 100%.
|Year||Number of Graduates||Completion Rate||Licensure or Certification Pass Rate||Job Placement Rate|
|2017-2018||13||Full Time- 100%|
Part Time- 75%
|2016-2017||11||Full Time- 83%|
Part Time- 80%
|2015-2016||11||Full Time- 100%|
Part Time- 33%
- Transcripts from all Universities and Colleges attended
- GRE scores, Verbal, Quantitative and Writing
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or supervisors
- Personal Statement
- Resume or curriculum vita (List of completed upper division and/ or graduate course work (including grades) related to counseling)
- Writing sample (optional)
- Interview if requested
- For more Information
The Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Dr. Anna López awarded inaugural Hispanic Heritage award
- Dr. Torres to Study Mental Health of Hurricane Maria Victims in Puerto Rico
- Dr. Anna Lopez, Co-PI for Project TEACH Grant
- CEP Teaching Excellence Awards 2017 (Victor Carrasco- MA Student; Dr. Michael Kalkbrenner)