ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.
Complete the application to the NMSU Graduate School for the Summer term using the online application and pay the application fee.
ANNUAL APPLICATION DEADLINE is February 1st
Graduate Student Services, MSC 3G
New Mexico State University
P.O. Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001
Apply to the NMSU Graduate School for a Major in Clinical Mental Health Counseling by applying online: Admission Process and NMSU Graduate School Online Application
As part of this application, you will need to upload ALL of the following:
- One unofficial transcript from every college or university you have attended. If the MA-CMHC program decides to recommend you for admission, official transcripts must be submitted to the Graduate School. You will not be considered admitted until after the Graduate School has reviewed these materials and made a final decision. For questions about the application process, please contact: Dr. Mike Kalkbrenner, Admissions Coordinator, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, firstname.lastname@example.org
- A current resume which a) highlights 300 level and higher courses you have taken in Research Methods (statistics, assessment, research design), Understanding both normal and dysfunctional Behavior (personality, human development, abnormal), and Counseling (theory, techniques); b) lists all research experience (honors thesis, research assistant, presentations at conferences, publications); c) provides descriptions of all volunteer, paraprofessional, and professional experiences related to counseling or the helping professions; and d) describes diverse experiences (study abroad, languages spoken, case management of culturally diverse clients, multicultural research projects, social justice advocacy).
- A statement of purpose approximately 2-4 pages long, describing a) why you are seeking graduate training in clinical mental health counseling; b) why you are interested in the MA-CMHC program in the Counseling and Educational Psychology department at NMSU in particular; c) your work or volunteer experience in counseling, mental health, or other helping fields; d) research interests if applicable; and e) your experience with diversity, multiculturalism, and social justice advocacy. The quality of your writing will be evaluated for professionalism and grammatical accuracy.
- The names and contact information of three (3) instructors or clinical supervisors who will provide us with reference letters about your capabilities for graduate level work in a counseling field (please do not submit letters from family members or friends). Please ask your writers to use letterhead stationery and to sign letters before scanning and uploading them.
- A writing sample from recent undergraduate or graduate work that cites and references research in APA style (i.e., literature review or research paper) or demonstrates original research (i.e., thesis or publication).
Admission Process and NMSU Graduate School Online Application